Creamy summer melon smoothie
Smooth, creamy, gently sweet and distinctly aromatic, this beautiful pastel melon smoothie might just be a new favourite in your summer drink collection! Cantaloupe, galia or honeydew, the choice is yours!
Guys, summer is in full swing! The heatwave has just past Europe but make sure to keep yourself hydrated at all time. And on those days when all you crave is a cold refreshing drink, look no further than to your fridge, get the blender out and make the following:
OR this one-in-a-melon smoothie below.
Yellow melons are available almost all year round in Europe thanks to imports from tropical areas around the world from Southern Europe, Morocco, Israeli, to Brazil, and the Caribbeans. They are; however, at their best during the summer months. This is when you find yourself drawn by their distinct fragrance from afar to their display at local (super-) markets.
Sweet and distinctly aromatic, low in calories while packed with vitamins C, A, anti-oxidants, potassium, various other minerals and dietary fibre, these yellow-fleshed melons are the perfect smoothie staples to help you cool off and vitalise in the summer heat.
As usual, we’ll healthify our glass by sneaking in some steamed cauliflower, chia seeds, and optionally, left-over pumpkin/sweet-potato puree to make a creamy and dewy melon smoothie.
The “golden ratio”
Over time, the following seems to have become my “golden ratio” for juicy fruits such as melon and berries:
• 1 unit fibrous/starchy chopped vegies OR up to 1.5 if include leafy greens such as spinach and kale
• 1.5 – 2 units of fruits, cut in pieces
• 2 tbsp seeds such as chia, flax, hemp for extra protein and healthy fats
• 350ml (~1 1/3 cup) milk of choice
• Some mint leaves
• A thumb of ginger
• Toppings: shredded coconut, chopped nuts, cacao nibs
Take one your breakfast drink, another one in a thermo for grab-and-go pre-workout, and store the rest in the fridge for the next day. How simple and convenient is that!
- 120 gr (1 custeamed cauliflower
- 100 gr (~2/3cupumpkin/sweet potato puree OR 1 small banana
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger grated
- 320-350 gr (~1/4 small melogalia/cantaloupe/honeydew melon
- 2 tbsp (~ 20gchia seeds
- 350 ml coconut milk (in carton package NOT the full-fat creaOR any milk of choice
Put everything in a blender or Nutribullet
Blend for about 15-second until you reach a creamy and thick smoothie
Garnish with shredded coconuts, chopped nuts and one mini slice of melon on each glass
Nutritional Value per serving (MyFitnessPal)
• Calories: 90Cal / 376Kj ; Fat 3gr; Sodium 64mg; Potassium 285mg ; Carb 13.5gr; Protein 3gr; Fiber 4.1gr ; Sugar 9.5 gr ; Vit C 25% DV ; Calc 16% DV; Iron 2.5%