Healthy breakfast with green omelette (Vegetarian, GF)
You like eggs for breakfast, but not the boring boiled or fried version?
Are you like me, who love to savour the creamy texture of an omelette?
You want to add more greens to your every meal? Without spending too much time in the kitchen?
Then look no further than this lustrous green omelette! Not only is it super tasty but also packed with protein, vitamins A, vitamin C, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, and various essential minerals. As most ingredients are often already in your fridge, this can be whipped up within 10-15 mins on a weekday.
The first time, I went for only 4 eggs so the texture was more crepe-like. Second time with 6 and it was simply PERFECT!!!!
For garnishing, throw in anything you like or have ready in the fridge.
No spinach? Use rucola! No pine nuts? use pistachio or cashew! Lactose intolerance? Use some vegan cheese to make it completely dairy-free
If you’re a big eater or a #sportfanatic, we can easily pump up the protein content with some pan-seared salmon or left-over chicken
- 5-6 large eggs Go free-range!
- 2 tbsp ~30ml milk of choice
- ½ tbsp. ~ 8-10ml mild olive oil
- 2 cups of ~80gr spinach. You try with kale or rucola as well!
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 bunch of coriander aka cilantro
- Half or 1 bunch of parsley depending on how much you like it
- Half a bunch of fresh mint leaves
- ¼ tsp ~1gr salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 2 cloves garlic OR ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili flakes or chili powder
- Optional 1 shallot for full flavour. But skip if you don’t want to brag about your breakfast without talking about it
- The garnishes
- More spinach OR rucola
- 1 tbsp ~ 10gr pine nuts, toasted
- Shredded mozzarella/cheddar or (vegan) cheese of choice
- Cherry tomatoes – 100gr gives about 3 per servings cut in halves
Put all components of the base (EXCEPT olive oil and milk), greens, and spices in a blender
Blend and add the milk bit by bit until you reach a smooth eggy texture
Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat
Add 1/3 of the oil (as we’re making 3 omelette) and coat the pan evenly
Pour in 1/3 of the omelette batter, make sure the liquid cover the whole pan’s surface
Use a spatula and quickly pull the edge of the liquid batter towards the centre while tilting the pan to spread it evenly on the surface. About 2 times
Put on cheese, tomato and nut toppings and close the pan with a lid for about 1 minute until the cheese is melted
Fold the omelette into half
Serve on a bed of spinach or rucola
(Optional) Add your favourite fish or chicken to make it a complete protein-rich meal
Other micro-nutrient values per serving: Vit A 78.5% DV; Vit C 44% DV ; Calc 4.5% DV; Iron 8.5%